1 cup Reishi mushroom tea (Make from t tea bags of Reishi mushroom tea and a cup of hot water lipped for 5 minutes, and set aside for cooling to room temperature)
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis is a condition of slowly destroyed of bile dusts, causing damage to liver as a result of bile building up. Antioxidant therapy is found effectively in improvement of the pruritus and fatigue of PBC(1).
Recent studies back by well known institutions proposed, Reishi mushroom and Cooked Artichokes may be the next generation of natural ingredients for prevention and treatment of Primary Biliary Cirrhosis.
According to the China Medical University, glycyrrhizin, silymarin, and ursodeoxycholic acid may have potential for prevention and treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis due to antioxidants effect in regulated the expression of genes relevant to apoptosis and oxidative stress in HepG2 cells(2).
Silymarin, an antioxidant found in milk thistle and cooked artichokes may also be important ingredient for prevention and treatment of Primary Biliary Cirrhosis(2). According to the joint study led by the University of Foggia, silybin exerted antioxidant effects against accumulation of toxic hydrophobic bile acids in hepatocytes,caused by chronic cholestasis, through inhibition of mitochondrial failure in rat with secondary biliarycirrhosis(4).
Dr. Matveev AV and colleagues in the study of liver protective effects of silymarin ssaid," clinical trials and systematic reviews of silymarin use show high efficacy of the drug in patients with amanitine, drugs, and other toxic injuries of liver, viral hepatitis, NASH. In patients with carcinoma and primarily biliary cirrhosis efficacy of silymarin is ambiguous"(5).
The effectiveness of Reishi mushroom and Cooked Artichokes may serve as cornerstones of pharmaceutical target for further studies in production of a potential medication for reduced risk, complications and treatment of Primary Biliary Cirrhosis with little or no adverse effects.
People who are at high risk of Primary Biliary Cirrhosis due to family history, environment factors, .... should drink at least one serving daily and women with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis should drink the smoothie as much as they can, depending to digestive toleration.
Life style and dietary pattern(reduced intake of bad cholesterol)change are recommended.
(1) Case report: oral antioxidant therapy for the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis: a pilot study by Watson JP1, Jones DE, James OF, Cann PA, Bramble MG.(PubMed)
(2) Glycyrrhizin, silymarin, and ursodeoxycholic acid regulate a common hepatoprotective pathway in HepG2 cells by Hsiang CY1, Lin LJ2, Kao ST2, Lo HY3, Chou ST3, Ho TY4.(PubMed)
(3) Antifibrotic effects of a polysaccharide extracted from Ganoderma lucidum, glycyrrhizin, and pentoxifylline in rats with cirrhosis induced by biliary obstruction by Park EJ1, Ko G, Kim J, Sohn DH.(PubMed)
(4) Silybin exerts antioxidant effects and induces mitochondrial biogenesis in liver of rat with secondary biliarycirrhosis by Serviddio G1, Bellanti F1, Stanca E2, Lunetti P2, Blonda M1, Tamborra R1, Siculella L2, Vendemiale G1, Capobianco L3, Giudetti AM4.(PubMed)
(5) [Hepatoprotective properties of silymarin].[Article in Russian] by Matveev AV, Koniaeva EI, Kurchenko VP, Shchekatikhina AS.(PubMed)